Friday 7 November 2008

New world order

So, overnight it seems the world has changed. In a way, I have a sense of jealousy for the hope which Americans currently feel - the speech which I watched from my apartment in Northern England at 5am on Tuesday was nothing short of mesmerising, and will stay with me.

It had been a long night, from which I awoke at around midday. I suddenly felt an inexplicable sense of loss. I think it dawned that the world is passing me by, and alone in my room, the previous night's inspiration had turned to tangible disappointment. Not at Obama's election, which I have no doubt will be one of the greatest (if inevitably shortlived) periods in America's history. I had a feeling of foreboding. Living in the UK, where politicians have no discernible thoughts of their own and the lack of transparency is frankly transparent, to see someone stand in front of hundreds of thousands of people and to know that every single word he spoke came from the heart was an absolute revelation. George W Bush was quite obviously quoting someone else's words every time he spoke, but I believe Barack Obama.

I fear however, like many, that this period of hope will soon come to an end. Not because of any errors he makes, but because I believe something will happen, and when that time comes, there'll be regression. People will be scared to make the tough decisions Barack wanted to make, and the world will be a much worse place. The divides in race relations that have been seemingly bridged will crumble, and when in likelihood, he is replaced by a white man, the ghettos will rise.

Barack Obama is truly unique, and irreplacable. The inevitability of his assassination casts a great shadow over this monumentous event for me. It feels like I'm watching a dead man walking, and as much as I wish it weren't true, I would guarantee there are people, probably somewhere in the south with far right tendencies plotting this very event as I write.

The election of a black man as president could perhaps be compared to the election of an Islamic prime minister in the UK. There would be very, very strong feelings against it, particularly in the mill towns of the North where there are serious racial tensions. However, without the "right to bear arms", quiet protest in the Nation's homes would probably be as far as it'd go, probably for fear of being dubbed an "Islamophobe" or something equally ridiculous. There is little free speech anymore, but the discontent would be tangible as I'm sure it is in Texas. The main difference is that a succession of failed labour governments has sapped any strength and resolve the British people have to make their voices heard.

Americans, however, have a new found sense of hope. I think there may be someone fancying themselves as a martyr in the bible belt who will do something about it. For 47% of the population to even consider an extension to the disaster that was Bush's premiership, of which a fair few I'm sure were voting against Mr Obama on racial grounds rather than for the quite noble John McCain, I'd suggest there may be at least one or two bad apples amongst them, and that they'll prevail.

Then it really will be a new world order. I pray it doesn't happen, but fear the time if/when it does. The beginning of the end, perhaps?
All of the hopes and all of the dreams will be gone. Fear will reign.

I hope this doesn't become the worst decision Americans have ever made. It seems right at the moment, but I have an awful feeling...

No comments: